What is Fermidine™ 0.2?
Fermidine™ 0.2 is a highly bioactive spermidine-rich wheat germ extract. Wheat Germ Extract is a nutrient dense authorized novel food, with no less than 0.2% of natural spermidine. Spermidine facilitates the rejuvenation of important portions of our cells and has a global effect on cellular fitness. Tissue spermidine levels decline with age. Spermidine replenishment has antiaging benefits.
Exceptional properties of Fermidine™ 0.2
- Nutrient dense functional food
Spermidine-rich wheat germ extract is a whole food ingredient containing proteins, peptides, fibre, carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, E), minerals (calcium, zinc, magnesium) and bioactive components (phytosterols, flavonoids, GABA, quinones, spermidine).
- Authorized Novel Food
Wheat Germ Extract complies with all specifications imposed by the European Novel Food regulation (EU) 2017/2470 and can thus be used in food supplements on the European market at the equivalent of maximum 6 mg spermidine per day.
- Natural geroprotector
- Science-based anti-aging properties of spermidine
- Whole-food-source of spermidine (≥ 0,2%)
Mechanism of action
The main mechanism of spermidine in delaying aging is the induction of autophagy, a regulated process to recycle cellular components.
During the process of autophagy cellular waste is degraded to recycle building blocks required for cellular survival.
Autophagy is also triggered by fasting. That is why spermidine is often called a caloric restriction mimetic. With spermidine, one gets the antiaging benefits of autophagy without fasting.
Spermidine promotes healthy aging
Through induction of autophagy and some autophagy-independent effects (e.g., direct antioxidant function), spermidine positively interferes with several molecular and cellular changes that drive the aging process, as shown in the figure below.
Figure. Effects of spermidine on the hallmarks of aging. Inspired by Hofer SJ et al. Nature Aging 2022; 2:1112-29. HFD: High Fat Diet; mitophagy: removal of aged and damaged mitochondria; proteostasis: homeostasis in the building, folding and turnover of proteins
- Based on the large amount of scientific evidence, spermidine can be used for healthy aging. However, it is important to ensure that the daily amount of spermidine is sufficiently high to have a health-promoting effect. Most studies have been conducted with a daily dose of spermidine from 1 to 3 mg.
- Preserves telomere length
- Reduces acetylation
- Induces autophagy
- Improves mitochondrial function
- Reduces senescence markers
- Protects against cognitive decline
- Improves memory performance
- Influences T cell development and differentiation
- Contributes to cancer prevention through increased immunosurveillance
Preventive posology: 0.5 – 0.75 g