Fermogulan™ is fermented jiaogulan or Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thunb.), a climbing perennial vine of the Cucurbitaceae family native to certain parts of South and Southeast Asia. In ancient China, jiaogulan was basically used as an energizing agent and rejuvenating elixir.
This ‘immortality herb’ has been activated by lactic acid fermentation.
The great benefit of fermentation
A traditional fermentation process creates a biotransformation of the secondary metabolites of jiaogulan.
During lactic acid fermentation, microbial enzymes transform poorly available herbal components such as gypenosides into more easily absorbable health-promoting metabolites.
The flavonoids are broken down into smaller active antioxidant molecules by fermentation
The presence of SOD-like substances that are not destroyed in the digestive tract and perform the same function as superoxide dismutase (SOD).
Contains also ginsenosides in their bioactive form
A high content of ginsenosides in their bioactive form such as Rg3, Rh2 and Compound K, which sets Fermogulan™ apart from all other jiaogulan on the market.
Fermogulan™ contains paraprobiotics with similar health-promoting benefits as live probiotic strains.
Much lower daily dose needed
By the high bioavailability and rapid absorption in the small intestine, a daily dose of 150 mg is enough under normal circumstances.
The great advantage of Fermogulan™ is that the natural matrix of the plant has been preserved. Together with the high bioavailability of the active substances, this ingredient is much safer than those who only offer high standardizations on gypenosides.
The jiaogulan plant contains many other intelligent substances in addition to the gypenosides that are highly beneficial to the body, also in their best absorbable form via traditional fermentation. It is the synergy of secondary plant metabolites in their best absorbable form that plays an important role for health.
Enrichment in rare ginsenosides (compound K, Rg3, Rh2)
Fermogulan™ has a well-defined chemical composition in rare ginsenosides. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is applied to identify and quantify gypenoside/ginsenoside changes before and after fermentation.
In comparison with unfermented jiaogulan, Fermogulan™ contains:
- 13-fold more ginsenoside CK (Compound K)
- 3-fold more ginsenoside Rg3
- 2-fold more ginsenoside Rh2
Compound K, Rg3 and Rh2 are ginsenoside metabolites originating from a deglycosylation process performed by enzymes produced by lactic acid bacteria. All 3 metabolites exhibit improved bioavailability following oral administration, as they are less polar in nature than their ginsenoside precursors, and therefore have greater potential to exert bioactive functions in the body.
GYPENOSIDES AND COMPOUND K HELP DELAY AGEING THROUGH AMPK ACTIVATION
Inside our cells is an important metabolic enzyme called AMPK (adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase), which plays a crucial role in energy homeostasis, cellular stress resistance and cellular housekeeping. AMPK acts like a ‘lifespan regulator’ via a coordinated network of many cellular reactions.
Since AMPK activation and responsiveness decline with ageing, the focus of current research is on finding AMPK activators. Gypenosides (i.e. damulin A, damulin B amongst others), compound K and ginsenoside Rh2 were found to activate AMPK in different in-vitro experiments.
Age-related decline in AMPK activation leads to age-related diseases. By correcting an age-related AMPK deficit, jioagulan constituents (gypenosides, compound K, Rh2) help prevent age-related diseases.
Why choose Fermogulan™?
- Is highly standardized in gypenosides (saponins)
- Conversion of these saponins into their bioactive form
- Higher bioavailability of all active substances
- Contains ginsenosides in their bioactive form
- Formation of SOD-like substances
- Much lower daily dose needed
- Unique adaptogen that counteracts the negative effects of stress
- One of the most superior antioxidants in the plant world
- Lowers blood glucose and Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels by significantly improving the insulin sensitivity of the cells
- Supporting cardiovascular health by: neutralizing the oxidative damage to the arteries; regulating blood pressure by stimulation of nitric oxide (NO); preventing platelet stickiness and blood clots
- Positive effects on the immune system due to: the antioxidant effects; balancing nitric oxide production; the protection against the effects of stress; the inhibition of Nuclear Factor kappa B (NF kB); increasing the number of white blood cells in weakened immune system; protecting cellular immunity; modulating the immune system
- Promoting weight loss by activating AMPK and improving insulin sensitivity
- Having anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties