L-theanine is an amino acid that is not widely found in our diet and does not belong to the essential and even the non-essential amino acids. It is mainly found in substantial amounts in the leaves of Camellia sinensis, the plant used to produce green, black and white tea.
But for a therapeutic dose, a supplement is necessary!
In terms of structure, L-theanine is similar to glutamine and two neurotransmitters produced from it, namely GABA and glutamate. L-theanine is also called
r-glutamylethylamide and is commonly known as a calming amino acid.
Kinetics and mechanisms
L-theanine has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier. After oral ingestion, L-theanine reaches the brain within an hour and is elevated for 5 hrs. Thereafter, it is gradually eliminated and has completely disappeared from the body after 24 hours. It has been shown that the L-theanine concentration increases i.a. in the hippocampus when taken orally.
L-Theanine supplements cause an increase in the production of alpha-1 waves within 30-45 minutes after oral intake of about 100 mg. This provides the most common benefits such as relaxation and attention.
Animal studies show that L-theanine is remarkably safe, as very high doses have not caused any toxicity.
Why choose Thearelax™?
- Sourced from a world-renowned supplier of green tea extract,
rich in L-Theanine
- Contains all-natural L-theanine and not via chemical synthesis
- Standardized on 40 % L-Theanine
- Water extraction and therefore no use of synthetic solvents
- A proprietary extraction process
- Excellent water solubility and stability -> ideal for functional food applications
- cGMP, FSSC 22000 and HACCP certified
- SGS tested for Pesticide Residuals, PAH (4) and Pyrrolizidine Alcaloids
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Induces a good feeling of relaxation without causing sedation or drowsiness
- Has attention-promoting properties
- Improvement of the sleep quality (deeper sleep)
- Beneficial effect on blood pressure